Monthly Theme: Nature Appreciation
WAAV Creative, Ambika Rajyagor, shares how she practices August's Theme of Nature Appreciation in her everyday life.
Is it just me, or do you automatically play Taylor Swift’s “August” song every time you see the month on the Calendar? It might be just me, honestly-- but when this happens, I’m mentally picturing myself in my happy places, like at the park or beach, and this song is playing in the background. August makes me think of care-free summer days spent outdoors, walking barefoot on the grass, and climbing rocks in my favorite desert spots.
Anyways, that’s all just a roundabout way of me introducing August’s monthly theme, which is Nature Appreciation. We picked this theme because August is also the same month as the National Park Service’s Birthday, which falls on August 25th.
As we lead up to this *awesome* birthday at the end of the month, we can still find new ways to celebrate and appreciate nature throughout the month. Here are a few ways that I like to incorporate August’s monthly theme in my life:
- Taking a short break every few hours to go outside and walk up and down my street. I like to use this time to unplug and pay attention to all the sounds of nature around me, like the birds chirping in the bushes, the trees swaying in the wind, and the way the wind sounds whenever there’s a slight breeze. It helps me disconnect from my digital life for a moment, and re-connect with the world around me.
- Meditating and practicing grounding at the park
- Going on a hike in my local, state, or National Park
- Practicing “Leave No Trace” principles on a nature trip, and packing out what I pack in
- Engaging in my local community’s trail clean-ups or habitat restorations
And what’s great is that there are lots of different ways to appreciate Nature, and there’s so much more than just how I do it! Let us know some of the fun ways you appreciate nature in the comments of our August IG posts, and maybe we’ll try them out here at WAAV HQ!
by Ambika Rajyagor
A year ago